Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

NHBPM: Let It Be


Today's Prompt: Let It Be. What’s something that bothers you or weighs on you? Let it go. Talk out the letting go process and how you’re going to be better to yourself for it.

If you've been around my blog much at all, you already know one of my biggest challenges... the school clinic lady.  Her lack of interest, lack of accountability, and flat-out rude comments really, really, get to me.  We can be having a pretty good d-week here at home, and one negative comment from her to my daughter, or one phone call from her will really set me off.


Most of the time, I bounce back from these "incidents" with the clinic lady pretty quickly.  I take it as an opportunity to attempt to educate her further, or, when needed, a reason to meet (yet again) with school officials to work out a problem.  I try to turn it around in my head to be an opportunity rather than a problem.

But sometimes.... sometimes I can't get her/it out of my head.  I can't wrap my mind around the notion that she is the person I am forced to rely on when my daughter is at school.

So, I try.  I make myself look at the very bottom line: Was Rosie hurt?  Was there serious potential for harm?  If not, I try really hard to make myself take care of whatever needs done and then stop dwelling on it.  I mentally move on.... at least until the next incident, which tends to set me off again.  Ugh. 

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)