Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

NHBMP: If I could do anything...


Today's Prompt: If I could do anything as a Health Activist… Get aspirational. Money is no longer an option. What is your biggest goal that is now possible? How could you get there?
Now bring it back down to size. How much of this can you accomplish now, in a year, in five years?


Anything?  Well, of course, I'd find a cure for Diabetes.  Specifically, I'd like a cure that would kickstart the dead pancreases that Type I Diabetics have, and would also restart the pancreases of Type IIs. Since I am not of a scientific mind, my best bet would be to be a millionaire who could fund the best researchers out there. I'd advocate for that until my dying breath!

More realistic?  I'd like for the world at large to learn about the types of Diabetes and STOP the rude, insensitive comments that abound.  Asking a Type I if they ate too much sugar... telling a Type II that they just need to exercise more.... telling any type that there's a miracle cure in the form of algae, cinnamon, tea, you name it.... these comments and more would be eliminated from every diabetic's life! 

Hopefully, I AM doing something to help educate those I come in contact with- I speak up, offer to speak to groups, make posts in social networking sites, educate school friends and staff, and do anything else I can to get the word out.


This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days.

1 comment:

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)