Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Friday, August 26, 2011

Ketones. Ugh.

I'm home for the second day in a row with a sick kiddo.   You know what that means: crazy-high stubborn blood sugars and ketones.   Only trace amounts of ketones, but still... another thing to worry about.

When the endo's nurse finally returned my call, she gave the standard list of to-do's: change pump site, give a correction dose by shot, monitor blood sugars (duh).  She also had us crank up a temporary basal rate of 200%.  That made me a little uneasy, but, it's been more than an hour now and Rosie is still high according to her CGM, so I guess that wasn't so crazy after all.  

Ketones, even trace amounts, put me on edge.  It's kind of like getting her A1C number each quarter... somehow I feel like I've failed as a pancreas when Rosie winds up with ketones. Of course I know that's not true, but that's where my mommy-guilt mind takes me.  

Here's hoping for a ketone-free weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I hope those ketones go away fast and you are able to have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KETONES BE GONE!

    There's NO WAY you failed if she gets The Tones. It's just one of the things that go along with having a pancreas the doesn't produce insulin. Instead, you're a hero for ruthlessly fighting them off!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)