Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Monday, May 28, 2012

Summer Break

My kids are officially on summer break.  The end of the school year means so many things for the kids- no more early-early mornings, a more relaxed schedule, no homework, more fun.  And most significantly for me: no more dealing with the school's Clinic Aide and praying that she doesn't mess up Rosie's stuff each day.  

The kids will be at a babysitter part-time this summer, and she's great with the d-related stuff.  I've explained things once or twice, she's understood, and we've moved right along.  She calls me any time there's a question and she makes great judgement calls as to how to handle day-to-day stuff.   Ahhhh.... such a relief to know Rosie will be there instead of under the "care" of the Clinic Aide.

I've worked really hard to restrain myself this school year in dealing with the CA.  We had one confrontation at the beginning of the school year, and a meeting to follow-up.  Since then, I've done my best to let little things slide and to ignore her obvious incompetence unless it was something that would directly impact Rosie's health.  Rosie is old enough now (age 9) that she can handle a lot of things on her own. We took care of the necessities and that was about it.

A week before school was out, though, I had had it.  Rosie came off the bus upset and complaining about the CA being "mean again" and listed several things that had happened that week.  I wrote a lengthy email to the school district nurse supervisor and to the principal detailing the most recent problems.  I respectfully requested that Rosie should be removed from the care of this woman for the next school year and I offered some ideas of ways we could make that happen.  Since we're in a private school, we don't have a 504, because I was initially told by the CA that they don't use them... but I think it's time that we change that.  (I'm wiser now to the way the law works in this area!)   

The principal and nurse both responded that they'd like to meet with me and address my concerns after school was out.... perfectly reasonable since the last week of school is busy for everyone.   I anticipate a call this week, and if the principal hasn't called within a few days I'll call her.  

To be continued...

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)