Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Friday, May 18, 2012

Fantasy Diabetes Device (Diabetes Blog Week)



I'm late in jumping in on this year's Diabetes Blog Week posts.  It just so happened that this was also National Nursing Home Week, which meant lots of special events & extra hours for me at work.  So I'm catching up and picking a few of my favorite prompts to write about... even if I am off by a few days!  ;)
Thursday's topic: Today let’s tackle an idea inspired by Bennet of Your Diabetes May Vary.  Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be?  Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc etc etc.  The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?

I would love to have a way to monitor Rosie's blood sugars and Dex graphs when I'm not with her... an app on my phone would be ideal.  Then, I wouldn't have to worry about setting a temp basal and then sending her off to school- I could see for myself how it was affecting her.  I wouldn't have to fight with the school clinic aide about how or when to do her blood sugar checks.  I wouldn't have to worry that she had forgotten to bolus for her morning snack again- I'd be able to see it and call her to correct it myself.   

I wouldn't want "remote control" features, though-- that seems dangerous to me.  I might crank her insulin up without realizing that right that moment she's running around in gym class and will be naturally coming down soon.  No, I'd be content to be able to monitor things at a distance and rely on an old-fashioned phone call to actually make any changes.

I know that similar concepts are becoming closer and closer to reality...I've heard about a device from a big-name company that allows parents to monitor their children's CGM from down the hall at night.  I want to be able to monitor Rosie 24/7, though... even when I'm at work 30 miles away.  What d-parent wouldn't want that?

Curious as to what others would invent?  Want to share you own idea?  The link-up for this topic is posted HERE

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)