Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Friday, May 18, 2012

Puppy Knows...

Rosie had a bad day at school d-wise... the clinic aide (whom I filed a complaint on this morning due to ongoing problems... but that's another story for another time) called at the END of the day and left a message to let me know that Rosie had been in the clinic 8 times, and was low each time. One her teacher sent her to see if she had a temperature, because she kept saying she didn't feel right.   First off, I was concerned about all the lows.  Then later it hit me-- why on earth didn't she call me earlier in the day???  I would have brought Rosie home. That's getting added to the complaint list, of course... but as I said, that's another story.

Anyways, Rosie comes home from school and settles in on the couch.   Our puppy, Angel, clearly knew something was wrong with Rosie.  Angel was determined to lay down with Rosie, either next to her or on top of her.  (Bear in mind that our puppy, a 5-month old Golden Retriever, is nearly as big as Rosie!)  After repeatedly being pushed down, Angel went and got a bone, and laid it down right next to Rosie's face as she slept.   Angel finally had to be put into her kennel so that Rosie could get some rest.   Aren't dogs the sweetest things?  :)

As for Rosie, this evening she's running a fever and has the sky-high blood sugars that we've come to expect when she's sick.  She just went up to bed... we're on a 200% temp basal and a fresh dose of ibuprofin for her, with a cold drink and a new book for me.  I predict a long night ahead for both of us.  I pray she feels better by morning!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)