Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stormy Day

Cloudy this morning.  5:30am check of 260.  Breakfast check at 7:40am: 400, but negative for ketones.  Bolused, fed, bolused the carbs.   I downloaded her pump and Dexcom and emailed the info to her endo, since she's been having a lot of highs lately.  Rosie said she felt fine, so off to school she went.

Thunder.  9am call from school: blood sugar is over 600.   I head to school to change her site and set a temp basal.  I also sneak in some ibuprofin to ward off the headache that's sure to hit Rosie as she comes down... ibuprofin is still an issue of contention with the school.  Wish I'd taken some myself as I deal with the clinic aide.

Lightening.  11:40am phone call: it's lunch time and she's still reading over 600.  This is going on three hours now, and we're getting really worried.  Daddy is at home, so he's dispatched to go pick her up.  I'm half an hour away at work... not really getting anything done, but there, just the same.  I pace my office and try to be a psychic long-distance pancreas.   I can't for the life of me figure out why she's so high.

Lull in the storm.   12:55pm.  I can't stand it... I'm not getting anything done at work for worry over Rosie.  I call home.  She's down to 450.   We joke that it's a bad day when we're actually celebrating a 450.

2:45pm.  I'm home.  I was useless at work.  It seems that Daddy and Rosie have found a magic formula that works to bring her blood sugar down: lunch from McDonald's and playing at home.  Not my first choice of ways to deal with it, but, whatever... she's ok.   Rosie is playing around the house, laughing about the McDonald's cure for her crazy high.  She's down around 189.   I'm exhausted, worried, and relieved, all at once.

Raining again.  Rosie's at 131 with an arrow straight down.  A 15-carb snack levels her out.  We'd normally let a number like that ride a while, but we know better-- she typically crashes after coming down from a crazy high like that.

Supper: calm skies.  She's fine.  Glucose in normal range, no headache, anxious to go to softball practice and Brownies with her friends.  To look at her, you'd never know that the last eight hours have been a diabetes rollercoaster. 

Ironically, after supper we head out to softball practice, where it promptly started raining, for real. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)