Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sick Day with D

She's got a sore throat, headache, fever.  Normal illness for a school-aged child, right?  These things go around all the time.

Then you throw D into the mix.

We are constantly monitoring blood sugars, trying to bring down high blood sugars while still keeping carbs in her system.  Rosie tends to go sky-high about a day before she actually shows symptoms of illness.... I should have known yesterday that we'd be up all night!

We're checking for ketones, praying to just see that tan color and nothing worse.  Trying to keep her hydrated.  Making sure we have enough keto strips in the house.

We have to double-check any over-the-counter medicines to make sure they don't contain any acetaminophen, which would interfere with her Dexcom.  The first time I tried to buy cold medicine after she got her Dex, I think I stood in the aisle reading bottles for a good 20 minutes.  It seems to me that nearly every children's cold medicine has acetaminophen.  Now, at least I know which brands are usually safe, and I go with a homeopathic remedy if she just has a sore throat without a fever.

A little bug is never little with a D-child.  There are so many extra things to worry about.  Fortunately, both kids already had Dr. appointments scheduled today for flu shots and check-ups... I guess now we'll just make those into "sick" appointments!

 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry that the "bug" has come to your house! We just got over the cold here ourselves. Sending many hugs and prayers your way for a quick recovery in both body and numbers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)