Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Pump-less Cheerleading

Rosie has been active in several sports since her diagnosis: softball every Spring, Taekwondo for a few months, and one season of basketball.  For each of those activities, she was comfortable leaving her pump on, as long as she was wearing a pump belt that zipped shut rather than using velcro.  (She worries a lot when she wears her one belt with velcro compartments, so she very rarely wears that one.)

Last week, she started cheerleading practice.   This is new territory for us- I was far too shy to have ever been a cheerleader when I was her age!  She's very excited to join a few of her friends in cheering for the boys' basketball teams at her school.

The first practice was an hour and a half, and I stayed in the next room the entire time.  After about ten minutes of jumping and kicking, Rosie came to tell me that her pump was bouncing around a lot and she wanted to disconnect.  Of course she was running high that night, nearly 300 when we'd left the house to come to practice.  I did some quick mental D-math (high + just bolused + no pump + constant movement = should be OK?) and we disconnected her.  

It worked out great.  She was back in a normal range when we got home, and she felt fine.  Later that evening she went low, as she is prone to do about two hours after a lot of physical activity.  We caught the low, treated, and moved on.  

Now I just have to figure out how many extra carbs she'll need on the nights when she's not starting out high...
.

1 comment:

  1. This post takes me back to my Pom Pom days! GO ROSIE! With you cheering by Rosie's side, I know you will have it all figured out soon.

    ReplyDelete

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)