Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Should you share on Facebook?

Oops.  I had some prewritten posts up my sleeve to help me with the post-every-day thing, but those only help if you actually schedule them to post.  So, yeah, I missed posting on the 10th.  WEGO says we get two "Get out of post" days in the month... looks like I just used one of mine!

Yesterday's WEGO Health prompt:  Should people post about their (or loved ones) health on Facebook? Why/why not?

Ugh.  Sticky question. First of all, you have to know that my Facebook account is not linked with my blogs, it's not linked with Twitter-- it's just for people I actually know, or at least used to know, in real life.  There are very few exceptions to that rule on my friends list- two are boyfriends of my friends, one is a friend of a friend and has a child just dx with Type I Diabetes, and one is a professional contact.  That's pretty much it, though... everyone else I really know.

Back to the question: I think generalities are fine when it's just everyday stuff.  "Rosie had a great check-up today".  Or, "Stupid diabetes... Rosie's been high all day!"... a post to be seen by friends only.  The end. 

I have seen people go too far, IMHO.  One friend was posting very intimate details of her friend's sick family member.  I felt uncomfortable reading those when they'd pop up in my feed... I didn't know the sick person, and I'm not sure how they would feel about their personal life being discussed by strangers on Facebook.

. I'm posting daily in November in honor of Diabetes Awareness Month and the WEGO Health's National Health Blog Post Month. #NHBPM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)