Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Diabetes Ridiculous-ness

WEGO prompt for today: Day 12 – Monday, Nov. 12: Call BS on something. What’s something that is just ridiculous? 

I know it's old news, but the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard related to Type I was Halle Berry's claim that she "weaned herself off of insulin" and her self-proclaimed jump from Type I to Type II.  Not to sound callus, but if she had truly had Type I, she would have died without insulin.  Chances are that she was either misdiagnosed or misinformed.  

The story still comes up from time to time.  I'm sure she didn't mean to cause such waves in the Diabetes community. Next time, though, I wish she would think carefully before making such wild claims.

. I'm posting daily in November in honor of Diabetes Awareness Month and the WEGO Health's National Health Blog Post Month. #NHBPM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)