Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

NHBPM: My 18 year-old self

November is also Diabetes Awareness Month!

Today's NHBPM prompt: Dear 18 year old me. Write a letter to yourself when you were 18. Be sure to tell yourself what to do more of, what to do less of, and what you have to look forward to in the next few (or several) years.

Wow, 18 year-old self... you have no idea what's ahead for you.  Not only will you marry that guy you're so fond of having political arguments with in college, but the two of you will eventually be blessed with two beautiful, though premature, children.  Just when you've finished getting your son through his physical, occupational, and speech therapy and you think life is finally going to be "normal", your daughter will be diagnosed with Type I Diabetes. You'll come to learn that she has been blessed with a strong spirit and a personality that allows her to take anything in stride.  Your world will never be the same, but you'll all be fine, I promise!


This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)