Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Friday, August 9, 2013

D-eyes

I have always assumed that at some point my kids will need glasses.  I'm nearly blind, myself-- I can only see a few inches in front of my face without glasses or contacts.  Everyone on my side of the family wears contacts or glasses.  My husband has been blessed with much better vision, but even he sometimes needs to wear glasses at night.  So... I figured it was inevitable.

I took both kids to the ophthalmologist today.  Rosie's vision was "on the fence", with the Dr. stating that he won't be surprised if she starts complaining of vision problems within the next six months or so.  If not then, by the time we go back next year, he expects her to need glasses.

The Dr. reminded me how important it is for diabetics to see an ophthalmologist every year.  He compared it to a leaky hose-- he said that diabetes can keep poking tiny holes in a person's eye health  that aren't really noticable until all of the sudden you have a big flood of problems.  He encouraged us to keep up with our visits so that we can catch any issues in the "leak" phase, before they become big problems.

All in all, it was a good visit, and a good reminder: diabetes is always there, always working in the background, and we have to do our best to stay on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)