Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Diabetic Pirate Octopus

This will be our third year to participate in the local JDRF chapter's Walk for a Cure.  Every year I am overwhelmed at the amount of people who are there supporting our Type I's and doing what they can to help fund a cure.

 Our  team name is The Sugar Sharks.   The first year our shirts were black with a big shark on them.  Last year the shirts were purple with the JDRF sneakers. (Those shirts were printed in full color and proceeds went to another JDRF chapter- but sadly, I couldn't find their site this year.) This year, we were aiming for a pirate theme, but I was having trouble finding a pirate picture that wasn't mean-looking or showing a pirate carrying a bottle of alcohol.... neither one would be appropriate for the younger kids on our team!  

So what did we end up with?   Well, a diabetic pirate octopus, of course!  I found a picture of an octopus wearing a pirate eye patch.  We thought that was pretty cute.  Then, I discovered that there was a picture of a vial of insulin and a syringe... and it just happened that the octopus could be positioned to look like he was holding them.  Bingo!    We added a small picture of a shark, swimming towards the octopus, and the shirts were done.  Rosie chose dark red for our color this year.

As of yesterday, the UPS tracking shows the shirts were in a city about an hour away from our house.  Hopefully today we'll be able to model our lovely team shirts!
 

2 comments:

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)