Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Math Homework? Try Carb Counting!

This morning, my 8 year-old is wandering around the kitchen, calling out numbers as she goes--  32, 13, 13... and adding them up in her head.  (Oatmeal= 32, milk= 13, yogurt= 13.)  She adds them up correctly in her head, confirms the number with me, and boluses for her breakfast carbs.   This is fairly new- usually I am the one to figure out her carbs, but lately, she's enjoyed the challenge of doing it herself.   I smile, listening to her figure out the numbers and double-check herself. 

I have to admit, I laugh when she comes home with a homework assignment to practice her math facts.   Flash cards? Worksheets?  Ha!  If there's one thing that diabetes has given her, it's the understanding that HER math skills can literally come down to life or death.   I'm guessing that math comes easily for a lot of our d-kids!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)