Our D-history:

My daughter, *Rosie, was five years old when she was diagnosed on September 19, 2008, with Type I Diabetes. We started out on MDI, but in October 2010 we switched to a pump. We also added a Dexcom CGM in May of 2011. In February 2014 we changed to the Medtronic Enlite system- a pump and CGM all in one.

*Rosie is not her real name... I let her pick her own pseudonym for the blog!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Getting Ready for School

Today is Open House at Rosie's school- the day we find out who her teacher will be and meet them.  It's also the day I try to educate the teacher (Or teachers? Rosie thinks they change classes in 3rd grade.) in a very quick format about Rosie's needs.  

In First Grade, this went well- her teacher actually invited me to stop by the next day so we could talk more.   In Second Grade, the teacher gladly accepted the material I'd printed, listened to what I had to say, and promised to call/ email if she had any questions. 

My problem every year has not been with the teachers, but with the Clinic Aide who is the one Rosie sees daily in the clinic.  The woman is not a nurse, and she has no interest in learning any more than the absolute basics about Rosie's care.  We have had many, many "discussions", this Aide and I.... some much nicer than others. One resulted in me calling a meeting with the principal, during which DH nicely says that I "was clearly in charge" of the meeting.  (I may have been a little upset. I came well prepared, including carrying a pile of ADA papers. They had poked Mama Bear!)  We'll see what today brings.

Supplies I'll be dropping off in the clinic today include: monitor, strips, lancets, big bottle of glucose tablets, 8-pack of juice boxes, glucagon, and copies of all the paperwork (doctor's orders and my own things.... our private school does not do 504s).     Additionally, Rosie always has a back-up monitor and sugar source in her backpack, which stays in her classroom with her.  

I'm praying for an understanding teacher, and dare I say it, a new Clinic Aide.  However, if we still have the same one, at least she has basic knowledge and I won't be starting from scratch with her.

Now, if only my voice would come back enough to talk to people today without coughing, I think we'll be all set. 
Do I seem familiar? :) This blog is new, but I've been around the DOC for a while, and I've been blogging about other topics for years. I'm AmyMCGS pretty much everywhere online- CWD, Twitter, etc.

3 comments:

  1. We have our 'quick and dirty' meeting tomorrow to get everyone preped for day one Tuesday...will be scheduling the 'big' training soon.
    Thankfully we did get a new nurse this year and she even has experience with T1. Granted, still a less than part time position, but I'll take a knowledgeable person there for less time over a person who doesn't know what's going on there all day!
    Hope all goes well for you!! Here's to a GREAT year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By saying "does not do 504s", I'm assuming you are saying that they do not receive federal funds or services to support their programs? If they receive anything, they "have to do 504s". I'm sure you've checked this out thoroughly, I'm just surprised! I hope all goes well with you and your daughter this school year! Health and happiness always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Astoria Girl-- I'm aware. :) I could force them to do one, but they don't have anyone else there on one, and, they pretty much don't seem to have anyone there who knows what to do with one. So, rather than argue over what we call it, I write my own plan and give it to everyone involved. Instead, we go with my doctor's orders (which are great, and written in 504 format with very specific steps & instructions) and a couple of pages I've written myself. I haven't had a reason to push the specific 504 issue... yet. But I will if needed!

    ReplyDelete

Next to the doctor's office, I think some of the best diabetes tips I've ever gotten have come from discussions in the comment sections of diabetes blogs. :)